Simpson Ground Reservoir

Type; Reservoir
View Larger Map
Location; Staveley-in-Cartmell
Accessibility; Forestry Land, with paths
Grid Ref; SD 395 863
Elevation; 193m (633 feet)
Size; 455 x 194 m (1480 x 850 feet)
Area; 6.89 hectares (17 acres)
Depth; unknown
Meaning of name;  
Alternative name(s);  


Built in 1957 as a supplementary water supply for Grange-Over-Sands and the Haweswater aqueduct to Barrow, Simpson Ground blends well into the landscape - apart from the dam itself. It features rock outcrops, bracken-covered fells and the conifer forest as a backdrop. Although it is possible to walk along the dam to view the dedication plaque, there is no crossing over the overflow chute, so to circumnavigate the reservoir it is better to stick to the path below the dam.

Access is via footpaths from Staveley-in-Cartmell, Sow How farm, Pattison How or the Gummers How car park.